Your home is your sanctuary. That’s why it is important to ensure that it is safe and that you protect your home against the possibility of a house fire. Here’s our fire safety tips for the home: 

Sockets

Electrical fires account for a large percentage of house fires. The best advice is to have 1 plug in 1 socket. Ensure that the electrical equipment is in good order, as are the sockets. For peace of mind, you can obtain an electrical certificate for the electrics in your home to give you piece of mind for your home fire safety.

Candles

Whilst candles create a cosy ambience, they can burn out or cause things near by to catch fire. You should never leave a candle unattended and always ensure that they are burning well away from anything that could catch fire. Always ensure that candles are put out completely when not in use.

Cooking

Many house fires start in the kitchen, as such, the kitchen is one of the most dangerous rooms in the home. It’s important to remember to keep an eye on pots and pans whilst cooking with fat in particular, as fat can easily catch fire.

Cigarettes 

The smoking ban affects public and work places, but not the home. As such, it’s important to smoke safely in your home by keeping your home well ventilated and by ensuring cigarettes are put out completely before disposing of them.

Fire Alarms 

Every home should have at least one! A fire alarm considerably reduces the risk to life during a fire by making you aware whilst you have the opportunity to get out safely. You should put them in an effective place (not the kitchen or the bathroom) and ensure that they work at least once a month by pressing the button on the top to test them.

Checks before bed 

Before bed, it’s a good idea to ensure that all internal doors are closed, any electrical items that are unused are unplugged, all candles and cigarettes are put out and keys to exit are in a place where everyone inside can find them easily.

Escape Plan

Should the worst happen, it’s important to have a plan of how to escape quickly. The main priority is to leave the burning building as quickly and as safely as possible, out of reach from the fire and smoke and call 999. You should make family and friends aware of your plan.

Further information on staying fire safe can be found on the .GOV website and from your local fire station. 

In the event that your home has suffered fire and smoke damage, you can seek expert help to clear up the aftereffects. ServiceMaster Restore are professionals in fire and smoke restoration services. To find out further information, contact us on 0845 762 6828